Allo' Expat Portugal - Connecting Expats in Portugal
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Portugal Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Portugal
Portugal General Information
Portugal Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
Portugal and Foreign Government
Portugal General Listings
Portugal Useful Tips
Portugal Education & Medical
Portugal Travel & Tourism Info
Portugal Lifestyle & Leisure
Portugal Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Portugal Immigration Information Entry Visa

Entry Requirements

Passports must be valid for up to six months (depending on your nationality) and are required by all, except by European Union nationals and nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Norway and Switzerland holding valid national ID cards. British, Australian, Canadian, American and Japanese need a valid passport.

Citizens of non-EU countries may need to obtain a visa (visto para residência) from a Portuguese consulate in their home country before coming to Portugal to work, study or live.

Visas are required by all for stays of up to 90 days, with the exception of:

• The above mentioned nationalities;

• Nationals of Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Hungary, Israel, Korea (Rep. of), Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela;

• Transit passengers continuing their journey by the same or first connecting aircraft, provided holding onward or return documentation and not leaving the airport. However, nationals of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (Dom Rep), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Somalia and Sri Lanka always require a transit visa, even when not leaving the airport transit area.

All foreigners need a residence card (autorização de residência) to live permanently in Portugal, including EU nationals. Applications must be made at the nearest Foreigners’ Department (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras/SEF) of the Portuguese Ministry of Internal Affairs (there are offices in most major cities).

Non-EU nationals planning to reside permanently in Portugal must obtain a ‘residence visa’ before entering the country. Proof of income is required for both residence and work permits. After obtaining a residence card you must then obtain a Portuguese (blue) identity card (bilhete de indentidade).

When in Portugal you should always carry your foreign or Portuguese identity card or passport. You can be asked to produce your identification papers at any time by the Portuguese police or other officials, and if you don’t have them with you, you can be fined (although this is unlikely).

Permit infringements are taken seriously by the Portuguese authorities and if you’re discovered living illegally in Portugal there are severe penalties, including fines and even deportation for flagrant abuses (which will mean being excluded from Portugal for a number of years).

Residence Card (Autorização de Residência)

A foreigner residing in Portugal for longer than six months must apply for a residence card (autorização de residência). If you come to Portugal with the intention of remaining longer than six months (e.g. as an employee, student or a non-employed resident), you must apply for a residence card on your arrival.

See more information on the next page... (next)




copyrights ©
2015 | Policy